Author Topic: EI 1.0 News  (Read 24341 times)

weem

• Developer / Admin
  • Awards I'm making this game!
    • View Profile
    • Epic Inventor
EI 1.0 News
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:58:13 PM »
Hey everyone!

The three of us are together at my place one again, working on EI ;)

In fact, we're pretty excited as we are working on completing version 1.0 and intend on releasing it today!

With the update will come a number of bug fixes (of course), as well as some Multiplayer tweaks and fixes. We'll also be adding in the new Resource Locators as well as some personal rare-drop items. Regarding the rare-drop items, I thought it would be fun for each of us to come up with one item we would like added to the game that doesn't do anything, but is just a collectors item I guess - something that represents us in a way. To give you an example, mine is "Weem's Dice Bag", which is a digital representation of the Crown Royal bag I use for my D&D dice...

...we will let you guys discover the items Forrest and Brandon have added on your own ;)

So yes, Epic Inventor 1.0 is almost here - what does that mean?

With the release of version 1.0, we will essentially be "done"* with Epic Inventor. We will obviously follow 1.0 with various bug updates, etc, but technically we will be done with the game.

When we started this process, we thought me might be able to be done and release the game in December or so, 2011. As it turns out, we weren't so we had the beta release. We're coming up on one year now - one year of working on the game almost every day. This process has seen us pull off some crazy long weekends, sometimes working 40 hours over the course of a Saturday and Sunday. Add that to about 40 hours during the week working on it, as well as our day jobs where we put in 40+ hours and you have three guys who have been very busy for a long time now.

It has been an amazing experience and we have learned a TON, but we can't work on a free game forever (unfortunately).

We have some really fun ideas for another few games and as you know we have a business for this stuff now, so we are also excited to work on a new project - one that we can sell that will allow us to keep doing this kind of work - maybe even full time eventually. Epic Inventor was created using Java, but the next game will be developed using XNA! We're pretty excited about this, and the possibility of not only bringing a new game to the PC, but also to the Xbox ;)

*Wait, so no more new EI features/mobs/items?

With your help, we CAN do more EI stuff...

I've always said, "Epic Inventor is free and will always be free" and that will not change. However, we can't (as I said) continue working on a free game. We do believe there is something we can do though...

Kickstarter

Our plan is to setup a Kickstarter project that will allow people to help us fund more updates for EI. The short/simple version (for those unfamiliar) is that we would say "Here are the features we want to add, 1, 2, 3" and then set a funding goal we need to meet.

Some of those features could include...

- Increased Level Cap
- Weather Visuals (Rain and Snowfall)
- New Crafting Interface
- Enter and modify your cabin
- Day/Night
- Lava/Water

And more.

People can then "pledge" money to help get some of the features in, and can also earn certain rewards...

For example, pledging $10 might mean that your EI characters (those who pledged $10) will always start with a Large Safe. In this way, you can help us fund the project AND get a little something for it. If our funding goal IS met by the deadline (usually 30 days), we would then work on all the updates, and release them to everyone as a free update (regardless of whether or not they helped fund the project). If the funding goal is NOT met by the deadline, no one is charged any money they pledged (that's a cool feature of Kickstarter) and we essentially don't do any updates, instead moving on to our next project.

Using Kickstarter would mean than EI remains free AND gets new features - and we think this is the best option. If we do the Kickstarter project and you want to help fund it but can't afford to, we could still use your help in getting the word out about it - so keep that in mind. We know many of you are short on funds, and that's not a problem at all.

We're pretty excited about this option and we hope you guys are as well. If you have some Kickstarter reward ideas let us know. We have a few including special items, etc, but we would love to hear more.

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:06:13 PM by weem »
Mike "Weem" (Admin)
Epic Inventor Game Designer, Artist and Community Manager
Weem's YouTube Channel "Weemcast"!
Weem on Twitter (@theweem)!

Vortac

• View Profile
Re: EI 1.0 News
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »
This is very exciting news! I know a lot of people will be bummed out, but it's really nice to think of Epic Inventor as a finished product. A fun, free game that has good replay value. I'm really excited to see future projects that come from you guys!

Sapphire

• Newcomer
  • Sometimes, things happen. Sometimes they don't.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:56:08 PM »
That's a really cool idea.

Would definitely add some motivation to donate. Who doesn't want to donate if it means you actually get direct results... or at least are told *what* you funded.
Science is magic.
But magic isn't science.
Somewhere along the line, that very logic killed all wizards.

Forrest

• Developer
  • Bazinga!
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »
This is very exciting news! I know a lot of people will be bummed out, but it's really nice to think of Epic Inventor as a finished product. A fun, free game that has good replay value. I'm really excited to see future projects that come from you guys!

We would love to keep adding more and more stuff - we just need the community support.  We'll see how the kickstarter goes and take it from there  ;)
Forrest Hatfield (Admin)
Epic Inventor Developer and Cool Dude
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Follow me on Twitter (@ForrestHatfield)!

Donut

• Tester
  • Double Rainbow!
  • Awards EI? Yea, we go way back I am a member of the EI Steam Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »
It's good to see just how far the game has come since the beginning. I'd love to see even more cool stuff added.

Oh... My... Jesus! It's a RAINBOW!

Glaydur

• EI Moderator
  • You wanna be the best? Well that spot's taken!
  • Awards EI? Yea, we go way back I am a member of the EI Steam Team
    • View Profile
    • My Indie Company's website
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 10:25:41 PM »
It's really awesome how you guys have come so far without needing financial support for making EI yet! It's always been inevitable that you guys come to this point where you will need funding. Kickstarter is a great place for that too!

Unfortunately most of the player-base on EI are too young to donate or do transactions online (that includes me!) but I'm sure there will be new fans to come when you open up that kickstarter and they will definitely fund it. I'll help in anyway I can though like spreading it to my friends :) Goodluck and looking forward to future EI and future games from Pixel Prone  ;D
The question isn't who is going to let me .. It's who is going to stop me

Unofficial Epic Inventor Trailer:

Vortac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 12:08:35 AM »
I would defiantly be willing to pitch in a few bucks to see more updates for the game! :)

Diddover

• Awards I am a member of the EI Steam Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »
Nice nice nice

Forrest

• Developer
  • Bazinga!
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 11:41:17 AM »
We'll need help spreading the word.  If you're not able to contribute, see if you can pass the word on to someone who can  :)
Forrest Hatfield (Admin)
Epic Inventor Developer and Cool Dude
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Follow me on Twitter (@ForrestHatfield)!

EpicRobotGuy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
well..... if the kickstarter doesnt work out, can you at least bring us mod support. i mean look at what the mods being made for minecraft.

Xamio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »
Well. I think if Weem would add mod support, this game would get 20% cooler.

KeKoSlayer29

• Never give up. Always try your best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 06:39:46 PM »
this is awesome. i hope that everything works out! good luck guys ;)

Microdragon153

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 08:33:30 PM »
Great that you consider it finished! But I consider games like these online only at first getting onto other consoles and seeing it on shelves at stores in a box! And for some people...games like these are also considered complete when you see it on Ebay and is like "WOAH I played that as a kid now you got holographic stuff and all...". Actually only I think that but <_<

Zizou

• Now, triforce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Rt8kA6CWw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Rt8kA6CWw</a>

My reaction while reading this = Dog's reaction.
Add me on these things BRO.

Steam: zizou231
   ▲
 ▲ ▲
FAZOOTS!!!

Zizou

• Now, triforce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »
Great that you consider it finished! But I consider games like these online only at first getting onto other consoles and seeing it on shelves at stores in a box! And for some people...games like these are also considered complete when you see it on Ebay and is like "WOAH I played that as a kid now you got holographic stuff and all...". Actually only I think that but <_<

...Rephrase that in human language.
Add me on these things BRO.

Steam: zizou231
   ▲
 ▲ ▲
FAZOOTS!!!